Design & Construction Job Descriptions & Questions
What is a construction Business Development Manager job description?
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
* Continually identifies builds and develops new client business within a vertical market by pursing business opportunities with strategic targets in key industries and cultivating relationships with existing clients. Delivers compelling calls and presentations to introduce A & Pís capabilities and value proposition. Negotiates and communicates complex concepts/business issues to a variety of audiences.
* Identifies and evaluates new markets and partnership opportunities through direct prospecting, networking, attendance and participation with various industry and professional groups and networking associations.
* Oversees all aspects of the sales process within the vertical market, including development of opportunity-specific sales strategy, selection of pursuit teams and "quarterbacking" the entire sales process until the final close of the construction project.
* Defines, tests, refines and implements strategic plans to successfully achieve opportunities within the vertical market segment. These activities include primary research, industry, market and competitive analysis, and customer needs assessment. Ensures strategic objectives of the vertical market segment are well understood and executed by the pursuit team.
* Provides expertise and direction for the day to day management of bid packages in the development pipeline. Provides client specific opportunity assessment, market evaluation, market research, financial evaluation, and other marketing needs required throughout the proposal preparation and delivery process. Incorporates customer needs and input/feedback from both internal and external groups.
* Partners in conjunction with the marketing team to create effective marketing strategies to win in the marketplace, including market segmentation, value proposition development, technology positioning, pricing strategy, branding strategy, channel strategy and communications strategy development.
* Motivates others and provides leadership to accomplish team goals without having direct authority over team members.
* Prudently manages resources within budgetary guidelines according to company policy and within ethical corporate governance guidelines.
* Demonstrates positively A & Pís mission, vision, value statements, reputation, code of ethics, standards, policies and procedures internally and throughout the marketplace.
* Bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing, Economics or related discipline required.
* 10 years substantial and broad business experience in Business Development and/or Account Management with at least 3-5 years demonstrated success in selling and developing new business with revenues ranging from $5 million to over $100 million.
* Demonstrated experience leading complex sales processes that involve multiple team members and multiple decision makers (primarily C-suite decision makers).
* Demonstrated network of COI's (Centers of Influence) to include developers, owners, owners representatives, architects, engineers and other professional services relationships that could be leveraged to create business opportunities.
* Subject matter expert in at least one vertical market: Healthcare, Education, Corporate/Office, Municipal, or Multi-Family Housing a must. Must be versatile to rotate to other vertical markets as business needs dictate.
* Demonstrated ability to successfully expand new business and grow existing business within a vertical market.
* Engaging and highly effective interpersonal, communication and presentation skills that cultivate and grow lasting business relationships both internally and externally.
* Highly collaborative leadership style with the ability to respond quickly and effectively to ever-changing situations. Must possess the ability to coach, mentor and lead a diverse staff to deliver best in class services to our clients.
* Exhibit strong business acumen, skills and maturity and the ability to work effectively with others.
* Highly developed organizational and planning skills, time management skills and written/oral communications skills.
* Experience building strategic marketing programs/concepts, and selling the strategic programs to Sr. Executives.
* Active network of C-level contacts in assigned geography
* Demonstrated community involvement and activity with industry associations, civic and/or trade association groups
* Significant management experience and strategy development/account management within a construction firm is a significant plus.