Career Networking for the Built Environment

Jobs | Resumes | Employers | Answers

Miscellaneous & Other Employment Questions

What are the typical career positions in construction?

There are many routes to the different careers within the construction industry which vary by country. However, there are three main tiers of careers based on educational background which are common internationally:

* Unskilled and Semi-Skilled - General site labour with little or no construction qualifications.

* Skilled - On-site managers whom possess extensive knowledge and experience in their craft or profession.

* Technical and Management - Personnel with the greatest educational qualifications, usually graduate degrees, trained to design, manage and instruct the construction process.

Technical and specialised occupations require more training as a greater technical knowledge is required. These professions also hold more legal responsibility.

A short list of the main careers with an outline of the educational requirements are given below:

* Architect - Typically holds at least a 5 to 6-year degree in architecture. To use the title "architect" the individual must hold chartered status with the Royal Institute of British Architects and be on the Architects Registration Board.

* Civil Engineer - Typically holds a degree in a related subject. The Chartered Engineer qualification is controlled by the Institution of Civil Engineers. A new university graduate must hold a master's degree to become chartered, persons with bachelor's degrees may become an Incorporated Engineer.

* Building Services Engineer - Often referred to as an "M&E Engineer" typically holds a degree in mechanical or electrical engineering. Chartered Engineer status is governed by the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.

* Project Manager - Typically holds a 2-year or greater higher education qualification, but are often also qualified in another field such as quantity surveying or civil engineering.

* Quantity Surveyor - Typically holds a master's degree in quantity surveying. Chartered status is gained from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

* Structural Engineer - Typically holds a bachelors or master's degree in structural engineering, new university graduates must hold a master's degree to gain chartered status from the Institution of Structural Engineers.