Career Networking for the Built Environment
Design & Construction Job Descriptions & Questions
What is a Construction Safety Director job description?
|Add Answer |
I) GENERAL FUNCTION |
A) Leads and manages Companys safety program in order to develop the desired safety
culture and achieve safety objectives. Monitors all construction activities to ensure
compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) construction
industry standards, Company's safety program, and job specific safety programs. Leads
incident investigations. Works closely with Operations and job specific management.
Reports to the Executive Vice President & CFO.
1) Develops and manages Companys safety program, policies, & procedures.
Leads Company safety program orientation.
Coordinates emergency safety plans and procedures, including evacuation,
rescue, hazmat records, and fire suppression.
Plans and implements safety training
Assess effectiveness of safety program activities, policies, and procedures,
and implements changes to improve results and achieve objectives
Leads communication activities which promote and raise awareness of desired
culture, continued improvement, and achievements
Provides periodic reports to management and staff
Manages safety incentive programs
2) Assists with developing project specific safety orientation, plans, and training.
Leads or participates in subcontractor safety meetings.
Reviews plans and provides safety and risk counsel to bid/proposal teams
3) Manages safety inspection activities through staff and/or hired firms.
Conducts and supervises others conducting safety inspections.
Ensures required inspection data is collected and submitted.
4) Leads investigations of incidents, near misses, and complaints regarding unsafe or
unhealthful working conditions or practices.
Ensures required information is collected and submitted.
5) Analyzes inspection and incident information to identify causes and trends, and SAFETY DIRECTOR
develop preventive or corrective practices.
6) Maintains knowledge of current OSHA and industry standards, regulations, and
construction safety practices and policies.
7) Leads or participates in Safety Committee(s) or other risk/safety related
8) Manages safety staff or outsourced resources to insure implementation of safety
9) Educates and trains Company management and staff and business partners about
the safety program and their respective responsibilities.
1) Assists Field Management with appraisals and incentive programs.
2) Manages return to work/restricted duty program
3) Administers motor vehicle records program.
A) Reports to Executive Vice President & CFO
B) Works closely with Operations Management, project specific management, and Human
C) Interacts with staff, subcontractors/suppliers, prime contractors, customer representatives,
IV) KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/EXPERIENCE REQUIRMENTS
A) Bachelors degree, preferably in business, or safety, or equivalent amount of experience.
B) Ten years construction experience.
C) 30 hour OSHA construction safety class or equivalent.
D) Demonstrates commitment to continuing education in safety training in following
competencies: excavation, rigging, fall protection, scaffolding, hazmat, confined space,
air quality, personal protection equipment/clothing. Added by:-